Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Disconnecktie: The Faithful Vampire

There is this song from Norma Jean that has vexed me for months. And when I say that it has vexed me, I mean that the fact that I take such unmitigated pleasure in it vexes me. It really doesn't have that much in common with other songs that I never tire of; it's hyper-repetitive (musically) and not complicated or challenging either physically, mentally or emotionally. It's lyrics are good, but not clever, really. Clever is generally what I go for, but this... I think this is just honest. And I think that's something that's really nice about this song but it's not something I normally care about.

Anyway, it just won't go away. When I think of lyrics, this is the song I think of, ditto with dynamics and building an emotional experience and getting a listener to invest.

Disconnecktie

It's taken me fifty-thousand separate wrecks to get here, and I've learned absolutely nothing.
As I'm standing here alone, upright and motionless, I'm drowning in her sea.
The rising and sinking of every consciousness I've ever known, now detached and disconnected.
The endless cycle of idea and action, endless invention, endless experiment, endless hope, endless disappointment.

And I thought all I needed was just one breath to stay afloat.
For me it was like... like a breath, the last breath that I never wanted, any of this.
And I never thought that this would capsize, but this isn't a boat, it's a coffin, and now I'm moving forward into the sea,
Into the great sea.

So I begin with the end in mind.

Cycles of Heaven, twenty centuries gone by. Come home.

I've fallen three miles now, and I still can't shake this dragon.
And the end is coming like a flood. It's going to be a year for growing, and the greatest amount of forgetting.
My sea is dying, but death is a doorway, and at the very root of me I know this. It's the greatest reminder, what a bored world to roam in, what a sea to swim in.

So I begin with the end in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment